I adopted this delicious cake recipe from the RecipeZaar account in February 2005. The only changes I made were to add some vanilla and cut back the baking time. Be sure to top it with Fruit Cocktail Cake Icing #7062, another of my adopted recipes.
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 2 teaspoons baking soda
- add 2 cups unbleached flour
- add 2 large eggs
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, fruit cocktail and vanilla and mix all ingredients well (by hand--do not use electric mixer); batter will seem very thick at first (if you use good fruit cocktail that has mostly fruit, not all juice), but this is the way it should be (the juice in the fruit cocktail is the only liquid in this recipe except, of course, the eggs).
- Pour into a greased 9 inch x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- This cake is best with Fruit Cocktail Cake Icing #7062.