This is a fantastic dip for chips and also makes a wicked sauce for enchiladas! Serve this for your next get together, everyone will LOVE this I promise! Even better, you can use the Mexican blend of Velveeta cheese for this if desired. Use a good-quality mild cheddar cheese such a Cracker Barrel or Black Diamond brand. Adjust the hot sauce to taste. The dip will thicken as it cools, it is best served from a small crockpot to keep warm you could even cook the complete recipe in the crockpot! Since the store-bought canned chili has very little added ground beef, you could always add in more cooked ground beef is desired!
- add louisiana hot sauce or Tabasco sauce
- add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)
- add 1-2 teaspoon chili powder
- add 1 (7 ounce) can chunky salsa (mild or medium)
- add 1 (8 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese
- add 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (can use less)
- add 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese
- add 1 (15 ounce) can chili (or use homemade with ground beef added)
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat melt the Velveeta and mild cheddar cheese; stir until completely melted and combined.
- When the cheese has melted add in the salsa, chili, sour cream, chili powder, garlic (if using) and hot pepper sauce; cook over low heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm.