You'll never buy frozen mozzarella sticks again! These are easy and absolute delicious with none of the unhealthy additives of the commercial kind. I serve these with my own Angie's Bella Marinara sauce (with the spices punched up a little), but these would also be good with a creamy ranch-style dip. Vary the herbs in the breading if you like, but I like this combination with the marinara sauce.
- add 1 pinch black pepper
- add 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- add 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (like Progresso)
- add 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 1 pinch salt
- add 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- add 1/3 cup flour
- add 1 teaspoon dried basil
- add 1 egg
- add 6 pieces mozzarella string cheese
- add vegetable oil, for deep frying (approximately 2 cups)
- add 2 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic salt, oregano and basil.
- In a third bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Moisten each mozzarella stick half in the egg mixture, then dip each one in the bread crumbs and finally the flour mixture.
- Repeat this 3-step process.
- By now your fingers are going to be a total mess; just hang in there, it's sooooo worth it!
- Carefully place breaded mozzarella sticks in the hot oil; don't overcrowd (only about 4 at a time).
- Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels.