These are just as good, if not better than the deep-fryed version, and a lot less calories. Please make sure that the cheese sticks are very well coated with the egg/water mix and the cereal coating, as the cheese will run out all over, also let the cheese sticks sit out for 30 minutes to dry out the outer crumb coating before baking, these two steps are very important, and you will have the best-tasting cheese sticks! Kids love these, as well as adults. Prep time includes drying out for 30 minutes.
- add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- add 4 cups cornflake cereal (crushed to measure 1 cup)
- add 2 egg whites
- add 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- add 2 tablespoons water
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- add 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese or mozzarella cheese
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a medium pan lined with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed 1 cup cereal with the oregano and garlic salt, mix to combine.
- In another small bowl place in the flour.In another bowl thoroughly beat the egg whites with the 2 tbsp of water.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into 12 sticks, approximately 2-3/4-inches in length.
- Dip the cheese sticks in the flour, then in the egg/water mix, then in the cereal mixture (make sure that the cheese sticks are well coated with egg mix and cereal mix, as the cheese will run out while baking).
- Arrange cheese sticks on the baking sheet.
- Allow the sticks to set for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes, until cheese is soft and sticks are lightly browned.
- Recipe can be doubled for more cheese sticks.